Monday, October 30, 2006
Saturday, October 28, 2006
I thought I'd show what Ive been up to. I have been sampling some heat set gathers to make the ripples for my C+G work. I gathered the fabric, which is polyester satin, a very heavy weight one, and taffeta. I then cooked them in the oven in a baking paper parcel for 15 minutes. the creases are now set premanently. i think they have turned out well, I now need to work into them with stitches before heat setting. The last one was foiled before putting it to cook, but the scan doesn't show it well.
Tuesday, October 17, 2006
These two images are pieces I have been working on for FAT. The first are my finished crayon cards for "Up close and personal" postcard swap. I melted the crayon onto the cotton between baking parchment, and then I added a piece on with free machining and picked out the markings with freemachining.
The second is the first layer of my journal quilt for this month, which I have now signed up for as I think I am far enough along to commit. I chose a black and white image of the walled garden at the front of Margam House at Margam in South Wales. I thought this was really complex, but I machined over a print out and that made it a lot easier. I am really pleased so far as it is turning out better than I thought it would be. I have a grey felt and a white cotton layer underneath so i will be cutting back next. Then I intend to free machine in details and shadows.
Saturday, October 14, 2006
I thought I'd show you this piece of work I have been working on for college for two reasons. Firstly it is my latest sample for my sand project but secondly as it is the example I have given for my first challenge on textilechallenges. I have set a cut back applique challenge and hope that everyone will be able to find some challenge from this
, be it if they have never done cut back before or if they have done it a million times. I have tested some of the more experienced stitchers to add a challenging layer, like wireform, as in my picture here, or shim, or a pre-stitched piece etc. I haven't set a theme hoping that people will be able to come up with things for that. We'll see. Hope this thing works out. I am pleased with this sample.
Tuesday, October 10, 2006
Just a quick note to say that I have set up my group now, on yahoo. It's called textile challenges and it's basically a challenge site, no swapping work, or if we do it will only be momentos or charms etc. The hyperlink should be below to allow anyone to go have a look and join up if you like! Hope to see you there.
Sunday, October 08, 2006
I thought I'd update you on the secrets in the bag project, since now Gwen, my partner has recieved hers. The first image shows the bag of goodies I recieved and the next three are the cards I made. Gwen generously allowed me to donate the third card to Fiberarts for a cause, which will raise money for the American Cancer Association. I enjoyed this task, it was challenging working with other peoples thoughts and preferences.
I also wanted to get a feeling for an idea I have been toying with. I have been thinking about setting up a yahoo group where there would be no swaps but rather challenges for people to have a go at and then post their interpretation of the task. A sharing of techniques and ideas really. I have been discussing this with quite a few people lately, especially Jan and I like the idea of somewhere we can be totally free of swaps and other people's expectations but still have a chance to see other people's ideas and to tutorial each other on what we could add\ do differently etc. Can anyone who would be interested leave a comment for me to gauge the worth of doing this? Let me know.
Hia, i thought I'd share these images with you. The two skinny ones are the front and back of the momento's that I made to swap with my journal quilt group on FAT. I used the lyric from the Stereophonics, "Everyday I thank the lord I'm Welsh" and translated it into Welsh "Pob dydd dwi'n diolch I Ddyw am fod yn Gymraes" and added the Welsh flag and a flower that I had used on my journal quilt. Having already recieved one from Judith I don't know if mine are as good as others, but what the heck!
The next image is from my recent experiments with
crayons for my C+G. I also am going to use them for my crayon cards for FAI. I melted some crayon chips between two pieces of baking parchment and then peeled them apart and placed a pice of cotton in the middle and then re ironed. I also ironed the crayons off the cotton onto some white photocopy paper, to remove the excess wax, and because I used transfer crayons I was able to use this to reprint onto polyester etc. Very economical! I have been messing with the colours of this scan so that it can fit in with my C+G stuff on water over the sand. I am playing with the idea of making a hanging piece that can be changed by the viewer, so I hope that it works out, as with my hubby's sight I would like the piece to be viewed unsighted also. Hope that it works out, will keep you posted!