Monday, July 26, 2010

Strip ease part 2

Here is the stitched piece i did for strip ease crusade. A lady I really like and admire retired from school at the end of this year and another colleague made her a memory book and o i thought this would be the perfect thing to put in there for her. I did it in our national colours "white" (ish), green and red. I hand dyed with tea and coffee some fabrics and tore them into strips. I then hand stitched in tea dyed crochet cotton and bleached back the red cotton velvet for the heart so it didn't look so stark. Here's a detail.....
I then added some free machining, I wanted welsh words - she was the Head of Welsh you see. I wrote -"Curiad calon ein cymuned"which means Heart beat of our community.Here's the finished piece I think she liked it
notice the circular stitching, based on the cup and ring markings in my sketchbook

6 comments:

Gina said...

It's beautiful!

Mari Brown and Colourblob said...

Thats really nice,and I like the wording you added in there... Love the colours. I as well love to work with textiles and put different materials together... Found your blog through Blog Hop, glad I did.

michelle ward said...

Carol - this is so handsome. Love the strips, the stitching, the colors....very nice! Thanks for sharing more work with the team, and for walking us through the process, and the meaning behind the piece.

Nancy said...

How beautiful and original...I am sure she will love it.....
I have enjoyed your blog..so many pretty things...

Dawn said...

oh thats SO cool!! What a wonderful idea, and executed beautifully ;)

Brigitte aka Scrappassie said...

This is so beautiful, and I love knowing the meaning of the piece. Thank you for sharing!