Friday, February 23, 2007
Wednesday, February 21, 2007
Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Next are some ATC's for FiberATC for a trade based on travel. I chose train tracks! I am calling them leaves on the line - a big problem to rail travel in the UK. I painted the background cotton, then stencilled through sequin waste for the gravel on the tracks. I then used a stamp i made and the side of some thick card to print the tracks. The FME over cotton backed interlining, for a quilty feel. Then I added some leaves, some are charms some are sequin type and the last are glue gun with embossing powder. I really like how these have turned out.
And finally, as they say on the news! The last thing in the mail today was my card from Judy Scott for a trade on textile challnges, the felt melt challenge. Now not only was this my total favourite card but look at the way Judy has presented it in a little bag with a fabric tag and lovely threads. I could see it was from Judy and I fell on the envelope like a child on xmas morning. To my delight I found a darling little book in the envelope too! All hand made and stamped with "thread your day with smiles and laughter! To say I love it is an understatment! Judy's is off in the post tomorrow and hopefully my offering wil not be a disappointment to her.
What a day! and I didn't mention the kids smashing work either! Happy pancake day my day of JOY!!!!!
Firstly let me apologise for the lack of photot's having never done a set for a tutorial I never photographed all the stages, I will have to make a set for me and take piccies.
Step1 - Right, firstly I create a background, now I have just fused plain fabric to a backing of cotton backed interlining, but mainly I like to make a more detailed background.
I used 3D medium to stamp onto red felt for the red one.I then sprinkled gold embossing powder on theo the 3d expanding medium and blasted with the heat gun. This expanded the 3d medium, made the embossing powder metallic and made the lacey bits in the melted felt.
The gold one I put the acrylic felt onto the back of some taffeta (polyester) and free machined. I then melted the felt to make the taffeta shrink and bubble ( you have to be careful not to melt the taffeta, I am producing a hanging at the mo with this techique).
Step2 - Cut the backgrounds up into 9 squares.
Step3 - Embellish. I have sed buttons, beads of all shapes and sizes, Sequin waste, home made and paper beads, Pieces of stitched felt blasted with the heat gun, charms, sequins, hand stitching, hot glue and embossing powder or microbeads etc etc. I have finished some with a buttonhole stitch and others are left raw edged. They are going to be mounted by the recipient and so I have not inished the backs off neat, you can see where i have jumped around while stitching, but I guess they will be sewn or glued down so it doesn't matter. I personally am going to mount mine on canvas and put it up in my lounge.
I hope this helps all the people who have been asking about these squares. Sara Letchner who runs this swap does a great job, but I think is bowing out of these swaps, organisation is a lot of work! I have totally loved doing these, all that is left is to photograph them all together!
Sunday, February 18, 2007
Saturday, February 17, 2007
Friday, February 16, 2007
Wednesday, February 14, 2007
Sunday, February 11, 2007
these two samples for other things but am going to use them as my examples of texture for FAF. The first is my ATC for textiles challenges, my group, and this month we looked at felt melting! I stamped the red felt with expanding medium and then sprinkled with embossing powder while still wet. I then blasted with the heat gun, the medium expaned, the embossing powder went metallic and the felt melted where there was no medium! I FME'd the whole thing to a gold background and then stitched an inchie on with button hole, added a red and gold bead and some bugle beads and french knots. I then added some swirled wire also. I have to edge this now before the trade.
The other sample is using the smocking machine at college on thursday. The college has an amazing pre-smocking machine, it runs the stitches through to gather up the fabric ready to bsmocked, but I didn't want it for smocking in the traditional sense, I wanted to use it to manipulate the fabric into ripples. We put in bits of sheer and net as we went and also put it through on the wonk! (technical term!) to make irregular ripples. I love it as a sample.
Friday, February 09, 2007
Wednesday, February 07, 2007
Saturday, February 03, 2007
not looking forward to this one as I didn't think I could do enough variation of it, and i took someone else on TAST's lead and did some drawing first. I used sequin waste again and couched down with different sizes of the stitch. I also liked the circle to do, although it was a bit of a fiddle. I really like the windy band to the right too. It was much nicer to work than I thought. I do love this challenge, it is allowing me to test out lots of things but on a nice small scale. I would like to do what some of the others are doing and do al the stitches on one piece and build it up each week. If I get my act together i will let you know!