Tuesday, May 08, 2007

My Mandala

I have recently joined a yahoo group set up by Sue and Joanna to discuss the book "The Artist's Muse" by Betsy Dillard-Stroud. The book is amazing and I can't wait to work on things within it. The starting chapter is about creating mandala's. So our first task was to make one of our own. As we are doing Colour and Culture this term I thought this was a perfect subject choice for my third project also. Now I apologise in advance for this post being long but this piece has turned out to be very significant to me, it is the first piece I would be happy to put Carol Taylor "Fiber artist" after!!! I feel like I have really considered every mark and colour - every aspect of this piece.
I talked to Sue about some free association and she helped me think about how I would put over some of the words I associate with friendship over, and this is what I came up with as a result. I decided to use a split complementary scheme for my colours. The reason for this was that i felt we choose friendship based on our similarities and mutual interests but it is the contrasting opinions and viewpoints that make friends so valuable. Now I could have chosen any split complementary but this was the one aspect where I reflected my part in a friendship, and so I chose red orange and green. Red and green as they are the colours of my country. I then decided to have a woven section to show all the sharing that goes on amongst friends, the warp and the weft of life. I wanted to have symbols supported by the weaving to put over the word support and also a shape that would blend and hold the weaving together to show those bonds we make. So I chose circles, thinking about how all those small things that friends do, advice, a kind word, gifts, moral support etc are like the circles on a pond when a stone is thrown in, they effect and resonate across your life. I free machined this in red thread and a variegated green thread.
I added painted scrim to further blend and then decided it needed a bit of hand stitch to give broader marks, the greater effect, the more noticeable effect of having friends. I decided these lines should radiate from the centre to echo the giving nature of my friends.

So here's to you my Internet friends, finding you guys has totally changed me as a person, my attitude to life and my work.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicely done Carol. This is really a beautiful piece and it stands on it's own as a piece of art even without knowing the story and meaning behind it which to me is the mark of a truly sucessful piece.

Doreen G said...

Well done Carol and I agree with Sue's comments.You are a wonderful Fiber Artist and don't you forget it.

English Rose said...

way to go girl - this is so lovely. Carol Taylor Fibre Artist does have a good ring to it doesn't it?

Purple Missus said...

Carol, you are amazing!

Elizabet said...

Wow, this piece just blows me away. May sound odd but am so proud of you! And Carol Taylor Fibre Artist has a good resonance to it ;)

Val said...

Carol, your Mandala is just wonderful, and the meaning of it all is just extraordinary. Congratulations on achieving such a meaningful piece of Art.

Annica said...

Carol, your Mandala is amazing! I love how every tiny detail has a meaning, and yet it all comes together so beautifully.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Carol, your mandala is awesome. I enjoyed your symbolism and meanings very much.

Susan D said...

Love your Mandala and the meaning behind it. Blogging is a great way of meeting like minded people isn't it, they are a great bunch, very encouraging and don't mind sharing and passing on the knowledge to anyone starting out on their creative path in life.

Michelle said...

Carol, this piece is stunning! You are a very talented artist. Thanks for sharing the journey.

Sarah said...

Wow Carol! This is a really awesome piece of art! Thanks for sharing all the background and all of you that went in to it! It's really wonderful!