Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Faux batik on taffeta

Here are the sampes I have done of the faux batik, with the children's glue, as posted previously. I decided to do it on taffets to see if i could gather it and heat set it. I used acrylic paint to do the brown. The technique worked a treat but it made the fabric stiff, the acrylic paint did it, ironically where the glue was, was not at all stiff once washed out. As a result I decided not to gather and heat set but instead I free machined on to acrylic felt and then zapped the felt with the heat gun, causing the taffeta to wrinkle up. I think it turned out well. I got the idea for the felt and zapping from C June Barnes, as she shrinks wool on the backing to get a similar effect. She has a book coming out soon and I can't wait to get it.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Wow! Very neat, gotta add that to my list to try!